*We’re giving away a FREE HEADSHOT SESSION! See the bottom of this post for details.*
A headshot is the first step in making sure your personal brand stands out online. By investing in a professional photo of yourself, you’re telling people that you are credible, competent, and care about your work.
We live in a digital world. Employers, customers, and potential business partners are finding you online. Are you giving them a good first impression?
Headshot and portrait photographer Luigi Crespo reveals his tips for how YOU can get the perfect headshot.
- Think about your personal brand. Envision your dream job and what sort of “look” would be appropriate for that position. If you’re a business owner, what sort of clients do you want to attract? You’ll want to style yourself accordingly.
- Find the right photographer. Take the time to look at the portfolios of photographers in your area and reach out to the ones that have the style you’re looking for.
- Bring three outfits or layers. Save your favorite (or best) outfit for last. Changing mid-session provides a break from all the photos and a new look alters the way you feel, providing different pictures to choose from.
- Make sure your clothes are wrinkle-free. Iron or steam your clothes before you arrive at your headshot appointment. (Also, make sure they are stain-free!)
- Limit your accessories. Your personality should come through in the photos. That’s difficult if you’re wearing a hat, a scarf, glasses, various jewelry, and a busy shirt. Limit yourself to one statement item for each outfit. And leave the busy-patterned clothes at home.
- Get the hair and makeup add-on. (Okay, this was Lindsey’s tip, not Luigi’s.) It was really helpful to have someone else handle it. I felt like a model for the day and the assistant helped ensure there weren’t any weird hair things going on during the shoot. If you’re a guy, Luigi says he doesn’t recommend hair/makeup. Luigi does have something to control shininess. (I swear that’s considered makeup…)
We talked about “how to create an incredible first impression” on our Facebook Live yesterday. To enter the drawing for a free headshot session with Luigi Crespo, all you have to do to is leave a comment on the video sometime before next Friday, May 25th. You can tell us whether it’s “Laurel” or “Yanny” or share a photo of your flooded basement (poor Frederick), just make sure it’s family-friendly.
When was the last time you got a professional headshot done? Maybe it’s time for a new one!